Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pie Fest

James has a sister.  Actually he has two sisters (whom I love and adore).  Years before we were married, when she was a teenager his sister Marilyn started Pie Fest.  It has become a family tradition and is held anywhere between  Thanksgiving Day to the Saturday after Thanksgiving. 

What started off as a suggestion has now become a wonderful family tradition that includes spouses, children,  friends, and neighbors.  Even though we live thousands of miles a part we still participate in Pie Fest in spirit together.  It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it.

It's the one time of year that I slow down and don't mind the mess in the kitchen or kids covered in batter.  I love the smell of pies baking and the anticipation of  the holidays.  I have fond memories of my own mother baking the loveliest pumpkin and pecan pies well into the night on the eve of Thanksgiving.  I still bake a pecan pie every Thanksgiving (although this year I passed the torch to Cardi) even though it is my least favorite pie, simply because of the memories it evokes and like Grandpa's pumpkin prune pie, it wouldn't be Pie Fest without it.

This year I took a leap of faith and let the boys  join us in the kitchen.  They had fun deciding what kind of pie they wanted to make and gathering all the ingredients together.  Some needed a little more help than others, but in the end they were as lovely as the pies my mom used to make. 



But, of course before the gathering and the pie baking, and all the wonderful memories that follow... comes the chef's hat.  James makes the best chef's hat and it's part of what makes preparing for Pie Fest fun.














And then of course...there are the pies.




Pumpkin pie toffee cheesecake

Pecan pie pumpkin cheesecake

Jackson's No Bake Lemon Pie

John's Taste so Good, I can't Wait till Thanksgiving Pie

Bella's Cookies and Cream Pie





Cardi's Pecan Pie


2 comments:

  1. Now I know the time of year to visit the Moberlys! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth! You can visit any time of the year! Hope you guys are having a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete