Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

I've been a blog slacker lately. 

I haven't posted in nearly a month. 

It's not that we haven't been doing anything blog worthy.  There's lots of little projects I have been working on, school fieldtrips, Cardi's orchestra competition and trip to Dollywood, and painting galore.  We certainly have lots of fun summer ideas to blog about and new recipes to share.  Of course, I could always write a post about all the wonderful friends I have here who rally around me when I'm sick: taking my kids to the park, dropping off dinner and calling just to see how I'm feeling which is still exhausted after doing the simplest things but much, much better, thank you.

Right, now I'm surrounded by piles of laundry beckoning and John just mentioned that the kid's bathroom is out of  hand soap even though I just filled it on Monday (probably because he keeps squirting it on his bedroom window).  But, it's Sunday, a day of rest.  And did I mention it's Mother's Day?







 Mother's Day is full of lots of fun things.  Kids will literally give you the shoes right off their feet.




 And they become extremely helpful, like offering to unwrap your gifts for you.

 Or test your new hand held massager for you.
 They decorate wrapping paper for you
 and are totally willing to share your chocolate with you.
 They make signs,
 Silhouettes,
 Photo Albums



 Plant marigolds
 Write letters...even if they think homework and writing is the stupidest idea ever.

 They dip their little hands in paint...just for their mom...and help you eat your special Mother's Day breakfast so you don't have to do it alone.








 And they buy cards...funny ones.






But as much as I enjoy taking the day off for Mother's Day and all the things my husband and kids do for me, I am so grateful for the wonderful mothers in my life.  I am grateful for my mother in law who remembers to send me a card every year and thank me for being the mother of her grandchildren.  She is the epitome of a woman who continually strives to be the best mother and grandmother.  She is continually giving, never expecting anything in return.  I am so grateful for her sweet example and for the little reminders that it's the ordinary moments in life (reading a book together, learning to bake, and just listening...really listening) that helps makes a life extraordinary.

And I am so grateful for my own mother who taught me the importance of family and saying "I love you" everyday.  She is strong and resilient.  I am grateful for the example that she sets and the values she has instilled in me.  Happy Mother's Day, Mom!  I love you.

2 comments:

  1. aww... how did I miss this blog post? Looks like a sweet Mother's Day for you. I took my mom to Denny's that Saturday, and we had grilled cheese and seasoned fries (the best ever!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you guys had a great Mother's Day! And by the way, I'm free to go to Denny's anytime you want to eat grilled cheese and seasoned fries...or better yet just come to TN and I'll make you a grilled cheese and fries!

    ReplyDelete